Friday, March 18, 2011

It's Mommy...Not Mom!

"Mama"...the 1st words I ever heard my precious little girl say to me.  I remember hearing her say those words to me just a few days before my 1st Mother's Day & oh what a delight it was for me.  Finally my little baby was communicating to me my own name for her.  Mama.  So as she began to grow, my name would go between Mama & Mommy on a regular basis...and I LOVED it!  Until a horrible shift in the Mommy/Daughter world happened this week.  My amazing 3 year old little girl has started to call me....eek...MOM!  At first I thought it was just a little thing that she was doing, a phase of sorts.  One that I thought would just leave as quickly as it came.  I was wrong.  Could the time really have arrived that I will now be referred to as Mom and not Mommy or Mama?  Panic, dread, sadness, & disappoint start to creep into my heart.  This is a sign my little girl is getting older.  She's growing up, and as exciting as it is for me to get to know this amazing, unique, wonderful child, I still crave moments where I can just rock her to sleep in my arms.  She will always be my baby & I will always be her Mommy, that fact will never change.  I just have been given a big reminder that the time our children stay little is so short.  Sure, it seems like an eternity when they won't sleep through the night or they poop everywhere BUT the potty!  The reality is, it is short.  I want to be the very best Mommy that I can be to Alana & if that means I start taking on the role of Mom, I will gladly do it.  I just want her to know that she can always call on me whether its Mama, Mommy, or Mom & I will be there for her.  I'm still having a complex over this, but remembering my God given duty as her mother gives me great joy!  And for the time being, when she says Mom I will answer but responding, yes this is Mommy!  Haha!  

Random thoughts from The Polka Dot Desk.

Signing off,
Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment